Saturday, August 25, 2018

No rainbows on this horizon

Larry was tired during E-11, and in pain from his shoulder and neck.  We thought he has heat exhaustion.

To cut to the chase, he has lung cancer. It spread rapidly into his spine, liver, kidneys, and adrenal glands.  Hs is lying in McKay-Dee, with a catheter and IVs, running fevers, with pneumonia, in pain, so much pain.  Hasn't eaten in days, is largely non-verbal or unaware, usually restless.  We only get so many days as inpatient.  But he cannot go to a skilled nursing facility if he needs a sitter, and he does.  He tries to get up, he tries to pull out his IV or cath.  They have no in patient hospice care.  I need to double check, but if I pull such measures as his antibiotics and saline intake, and they're only treating for pain, they have to discharge him.  If so, he goes to home hospice.  HOME.  With a hospital bed in that tiny front room (where do I move the stuff to? How?) and ungrounded outlets, and no door into the hall, and no AC, and with only 35 hours a week of professional medical assistance. What the fuck good does that do him?  And I am fairly certain I will crack. 

If I had a pet in so much pain, I'd be at the vet, sending them over the Rainbow Bridge with love and kindness.

Fuck this.

No comments: