Saturday, February 2, 2019

Single serving

A cold, wet, chilly day, so I decide to have potstickers for lunch.  They're hot and tasty, and might hit the spot.  I'm craving Chinese food, and I could have it delivered, but I don't want that many calories or that much sodium before traveling.  And I'm trying to be mindful of the cash flow too. 

I have a bag of Ling Ling potstickers from the commissary, the regular size bag, not the Feed the Masses Costco size.  Four servings per bag.  That means two servings  after I dutifully read the nutrition label.  I get our the cute little 8 inch cast iron pan, not the regular size skillet or the monster 14 incher Larry found in the dumpster in San Diego.  Someone didn't know how to season or clean cast iron, which means we scored!  The small skillet is from the dumpster too, and the glass lid to my stainless steel sauce pan fits it perfectly.  You'd think they make them that way.

Count out ten potstickers, put the sauce bag in a bowl of hot water.  Oil, potstickers, water, boil, steam, uncover, evaporate off the last of the water.  Make the sauce, prep the tray, get out the chopsticks.  Count the potstickers.  Wait.  I did that when I took them out of the bag.  Break down crying because Larry and I will never sit over a shared bowl anymore and ask, how many have you had?  Not just potstickers, but fishsticks, chicken strips, eggrolls, shrimp, all the appetizer finger food groups.  He'd make a huge batch and figure out how many was a serving for me, and how much more was a serving for him.  He could eat about twice as much as me, and metabolize a lot more calories.

Dammit.  I should have just called China Star.

No comments: