Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cancer Sucks.

So I had a great time at Burning Man. I wish I could escape back to that dusty utopia, and soon.

My SIL in WV went into surgery on the Friday we drove to the desert. Ovarian cancer, stage three or four. She is home now and will begin chemo soon. She was healthy six months ago. Crap, huh? Not good news. That's a slow death sentence in most cases.

When we came back, there was an email saying my friend who ran the local freecycle group had died of pancreatic cancer. Crap. I knew she'd been in chemo, but she'd told us all things were going well. They may have been. Not well enough.

Just last night, I found out my dad has some type of cancer, found through blood and bone tests. I don't know what stage, much less what type as yet. The SIL will go with him to the doctor on Friday to get the full scoop. I will post then. Maybe. I'm raw from all the cancer in my loved ones. I just lost my favorite brother in Decemeber, toss mom's death in from 2005 (heart disease) and my oldest brother in 2001 from colon cancer, and well, I'm tired of it. No wonder my 86 year old father isn't going to put up with much in the way of treatment. He has lost too many too fast and simply wants to join mom.

Ironiclly, I just had a mammogram and go in a week from Friday for my last oncology visit. If my mammo is clear, I am a five year survivor. I won the cancer lottery. I am living in fear of what my own body may try to kill me with next.

Crap, cancer sucks the big one, sucks it hard. Fuck cancer.

3 comments:

archersangel said...

i agree with that last sentence.

Kanani said...

I'm so sorry. Cancer is a thief. It robs you of your time and energy.

otros ojos said...

All I can say is if there's any way at all to send energy for healing and comfort to someone else, I'm trying to get some to you. There's no way I can truly understand what this must be like for you, but like others, I care. A lot. And am hoping for the best possible outcome for you and your family.