Sunday, September 15, 2019

Into Year Two

The Year of Firsts is being me now, the year of mourning what was lost.  I lost so much more than MyLarry, I lost the future we had planned, I lost my identity as Mrs. Clayton, I lost being a housewife and intimate partner, I lost friends, I lost freedom and mobility. 

As I understand it, the second year is the year of hard hitting reality.  The truth is, while I can try to hire help, some "professionals" are better than others.  The latests debacle with the sprinklers shows that.  The basement did get water, I have probably lost the Persian carpet.  The yard kid has stopped showing up, I will need another lawn care person.  And until the e-bikes are moved, my backyard cannot be mowed.  I need to clean the toolboxes myself.  I need to get the bedding done and up myself.  The carpets are filthy, and if I do not clean them myself, they will not be done. If Lolo pees on something, I get to clean it.  The tub looks like someone murdered a grease monkey in there.  It goes on and on. I can ask Desi to help with many things, but she cannot carry the load.  She already does so very much, and I am so very grateful.  The pretty promises of friends were well intentioned, but have all proven empty. 

I have to maintain the house.  There is no question of moving at this point.  I am exhausted and afraid. 

Larry didn't just have boundless energy and the ability to push through and the desire to get things done, he also kept me energized.  Alone, I am so much less than who I was as a half of an outstanding partnership.  

No comments: