Monday, February 25, 2019

Fire Tribe rides again

I definitely wanted to make practice last night, as it was the first time everyone lit up, got used to the dip station, and the safeties practiced putting out live toys, one after the other.  I will be missing practice next week, as Desi and I will be going to the Winchester House.

 My usual ride was out of town, although he had promised to pick me up even if late.  But come late in the afternoon, he was still out of town, delayed by either weather or a new fiancee.  Too late for me to scramble a ride, and my one possibility was ill.  Too late to try the bus either.  That would take hours and did not appeal.  So I packed lightly and called Lyft.  Luckily I got a ride almost immediately and was only 20 minutes late. $38 plus a tip.  I cannot afford that weekly, but now and then it should be alright.  The Art Space is close enough to the airport that most drivers should be able to pick something up on a Sunday evening.  Still, I am annoyed.

Only one person was fussy that I would not pour extra fuel for their special tool.  That's not what we were doing.  Just a quick dip, shake/tap, spin off, light up, take a few moments in the performance area, the put out.  We were using only a single can, not the full station, and had none of the cups or squirt bottles.  No way to fuel an entire double wick staff.  He huffed off, poor baby. Sorry, not sorry.

Even I needed practice, a can I assumed was sealed was not.  I left it open at the station, told P. that everything was copacetic, and he ended up with a spill.  Entirely my fault.  it shall not happen again.

I froze my ass off and was unprepared.  I need a poncho, a flashlight, a good lighter, my first aid kit.  Maybe a multitool and a knife.  And a towel. 

I caught a ride home with someone who lives in a nearby town.  That was nice.  Otherwise I had planned on begging a couch and taking Front Runner home in the morning.  Ugh.

The good thing was three people got a pair of Larry's leather boots.  Wonderful. 

I miss Larry so much though.  So very much.


No comments: