Saturday, November 24, 2007

T-Day weekend Half-Time

Well, Saturday afternoon and mylarry is napping. No steel loads, so no work. Ah well, he's taken me shopping twice.

Turkey Day morning I was depressed and a bit angry. I just didn't want to do the dinner with the SIL. So when mylarry got a call from one of his driver buddies needing help, I said go for it. He wanted to move his alfalfa bales from the barn of a supposed friend. The driver used to live in Tooele and moved down to Orem; his wife trains horses and then sells then, or trains them for people. They'd been renting pasture and barn space from a friend, and he'd agreed to let them store their bales until they could move them later. Then the guy turns around and says "Move it or lose it." Meaning he'd use it for his own animals. Mylarry hooked up the trailer, we headed south and remarkably caught up with the driver buddy on I-80 (see me? I have my headlights on, behind the UHP). Got off at Lakepoint and headed into Tooele (Too-willa, but we call it Tooly). We pulled in to the driveway and driver-buddy had to hunt the guy up; his vehicle was blocking the access to the bales. Uh-huh. He grumbled and moved his car-jeep thing. Larry and his bud and bud's wife heaved and hauled while I sat in the SUV and listened to music. The buck and the paint in the corral kept watching us, intently asking with big horse eyes is we going to feed them? We didn't. The yellow rooster was obnoxious. The bales got moved over a couple blocks to another pasture, eventually they'll have to move down to Orem. Tooele still has homes with an acre or so of horse pasture as the backyards. The one home with the barn has new subdivision houses on either side, I wonder how long before the neighboring families complain about the manure. There was plenty of it! And we now have a trailer full of premium alfalfa sitting in the trailer in the driveway (covered load) waiting for Desi to take it to Idaho for her horse and her mother's animals.

So we came home and still made it to T-day dinner. Jeremy made a Fuzzy Navel for me, he's quite good at it. The food was good; not what I'd make, but still fine. John gave me some acrylic paints, I think that's my Christmas gift. Mi-chan made a from scratch no-bake cheesecake, which I couldn't have anyway, but it was cute to hear Jeremy tell her, "This is delightful." Very adult and gentlmanly. I'm not used to him being 19!

Friday morning we got up, not too early, and hit a few sales. Larry wanted an extra 19.2 volt battery for his power tools. I wanted fabric for our Santa outfits, so we went to Jo-Ann fabrics. Oh my. We pulled a cutting table number early, and a good thing too, we were there nearly five hours. It was worth it because I really needed the panne velvets, and we scooped up some holographic clearance fabric, silver lame snakeskin and red silky spiderweb fabrics, faux fur trim, linings, and some flame fleece to make a truck blanket for him. We hung around with the Mormon Moms who were all scooping up the fleece and flannel for Christmas quilts. They'd look in our cart and ask, "What are you making?" "Costumes." "Oh, for plays?" "No, for Burning Man and for Santarchy." Some of them thought it was cute, some of them just edged away from us. Hehehe. It didn't feel like we waited that long, Larry was running around chatting and helping all the ladies whose husbands wouldn't be caught dead in a craft shop. When I hit the cutting table, he got in the checkout line; he was at the front of the line when I finished. Perfect. Now I have to sew an Elf Jacket for him, and a Mrs. Santa dress and cape for me, and maybe a Naughty Santa's Helper outfit too.

Today we went to the mall. There's a new store with nice things from India and Nepal; I got a Shiva for my Idols collection; and a black and silver skirt, larry got a new purple-striped shirt. Then into the main mall. I picked up red gloves for my costume, larry got fuses and an elf hat with jingle bells and elf ears on it. Looks cool with his beard. I wanted black leather biker gloves for my Farscape costume, but couldn't find any. Ended up with more body wash from B&BW. He's napping now, poor guy must be tired to sleep in the middle of the afternoon.

1 comment:

archersangel said...

{snip}
we scooped up some holographic clearance fabric, silver lame snakeskin and red silky spiderweb fabrics, faux fur trim, linings, and some flame fleece to make a truck blanket for him. We hung around with the Mormon Moms who were all scooping up the fleece and flannel for Christmas quilts. They'd look in our cart and ask, "What are you making?" "Costumes." "Oh, for plays?" "No, for Burning Man and for Santarchy." Some of them thought it was cute, some of them just edged away from us. Hehehe. {snip}


hehehe indeed.